Viparita Karani is pronounced (vip-par-ee-tah-caran-ee). The other name of this yoga pose is Legs Up Wall Pose.
The word “VIPARITA” in Sanskrit means Upside down, “KARANI” means Action. Viparita Karani is fearful on its name. It means Upside-down position.
The real meaning is we stay Upside down towards gravitational force our organs get strengthened.
How to Practise Viparita Karani easily
Most people practice this yoga pose by keeping their legs on the wall. But it is not easy to practice for middle to old age. And we do not recommend to do that.
We concluded this yoga pose easily by using medium firm pillows. Do with 3 to 4 pillows (based on its size) is very simple to practice for everyone.
Those below the age of 12 should practice it for not more than 30 seconds.
Viparita Karani and its Importance
Overall yoga poses, two advanced yoga are highly beneficial for all kinds of ailments.
In Yogic text, Sirsasana is described as King and Sarvangasana as Queen poses.
Both poses are not easy to practice and not recommended for overweight, age above 60, back pain and other health disorders. But the Viparita Karani or Legs Up Wall Pose is a boon and the best alternative for both.
It is as beneficial as Sirsasana and Sarvangasana but not as tricky as both. Practising this yoga for a minimum period of 30 seconds and increasing it to 15 minutes without a break can be achieved by habitual practice.
Do this yoga and enjoy its benefits from today.
Science behind Viparita Karani and Sound Sleep
Viparita Karani has an enormous advantage, especially for A to Z Sleep problems.
The science behind that is simple.
While practising this yoga pose, your whole body weight gets pressure over your shoulder and neck region that activates the wind pool point (it’s a Varma or pressure point for sleep).
In addition to that, it energies your whole chakras and helps as a stress buster for your active thinking mind.
Before supper, empty stomach practices it for 5 minutes and take the supper after 20 minutes with the glass of warm water.
You will surely get sound sleep quickly without any sleeping pills.
How to Do Viparita Karani Yoga Pose
Here I mention practising this yoga pose with the support of a pillow.
1. Before practice this yoga pose wash your face, hands and legs for additional comfort.
2. It should be practised on a carpet, preferably in a spacious well air-ventilated atmosphere. It is far better to practice in an open terrace.
3. Sit On a carpet, place 3 to 4 medium firm (Latex or cotton pillow), one above the other. Without sitting in the Pillow centre, sit on the front.
4. Slowly bed backward thrust the hands on the floor, then the lower body. Only the head should be on the floor.
5. Join the legs together and raise upwards. Simultaneously, adjust the head on the floor and place the shoulder on the floor.
6. Keeps the legs to an angle of 90 degrees to the floor. The whole body weight should be on the shoulder and neck, place the hands relaxed next to the pillows.
7. Close your eyes and breathe. Hold the position for up to 100 counts.
8. Then slowly lower down the legs on the floor and take some rest.
9. Again, do the same and remain up to 100 counts. Three rounds total of 300 counts is enough for each day.
10. Thrusting the toes, raising the heels again, raising the back, and then removing the pillows one by one sideward.
11. Now, gently lower your back on the floor, stretch the legs and practice Savasana to relax.
1. Avoid this yoga pose if you have eye pressure and severe eye problems like glaucoma.
2. If you have back and neck injury or surgery on your back region, make sure you to do this under the guidance of yoga instructor.
3. During day time, don’t practice more than 200 counts.
Viparita Karani and Hormone Imbalance
It cures Hormone Imbalance and keeps them in a stable state.
How it works:
Thyroid Hormone: As more blood flows to the thyroid gland, enough thyroxin gets secreted and mixed with blood.
Pituitary Hormone: Because of gravitation force “Pituitrin” done by Penial and pituitary glands in the head, don’t by this asana.
Adrenaline Hormone: There is pressure on the stomach in inverted position adrenal glands secrete more hormones and mix in the blood. Hence Adrenaline medicine work takes place naturally.
Mind Blowing Viparita Karani Benefits
1. Entire organs in our body will get geared up by practising this one yoga.
2. Greyness and dimness will not touch you in your lifetime (Greyness means greying hairs and dimness means cataract in eyes).
3. Amid in spinal cord, there is chemical. When it gets activates the nerves such as sympathetic nerves and vagus nerves ending in medulla work effectively.
4. Heart gets more blood. Therefore more impure blood gets purified.
5. Anemia and dental problems get debased.
6. It guards one against disorders like sinus, stiffness on back, pain in the shoulder blade, and frequently getting cold.
7. It helps prevent Wounds, pimples, wrinkles in face and eczema.
8. Nervous system, brain and five senses functions get elevated.
9. Heart gets more blood. Therefore more impure blood gets purifies.
10. Lumbago, neck pain and other vertebral disorders get corrected.
11. Swelling in leg and elephantiasis are cured.
12. Prolapse of the uterus gets adjusted to its original position.
13. For men, it is highly beneficial. Impotence, premature ejaculation, low sperm count are easily cured.
14. Practise this yoga with other yoga poses can cure pranayama and kriya asthma, cough, cold, T.B, sinus, high blood pressure and diabetes.
1. Those who do not have time to spare to yogic practices, those who suffer from lumbar pain, neck pain, diabetes, asthma, headache and high blood pressure. It is enough for them to practice only this asana to cure all the pain and diseases.
2. Practising this asana the next day after intercourse will eliminate tiredness.
3. In the yogic text, it is said that this asana turns an older adult into a young man.
4. After three months of practice, legs can keep raised to 15 minutes at a stretch without a break.
Viparita Karani is the best yoga pose for beginners. There is no age limitation to practice this asana.
I think you understand spending 20 to 30 minutes a day for asana practice is a great deal to keep your healthy life long.
Do Viparita Karani and enjoy your relaxed deep sleep every day.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Viparita Karani?
Viparita Karani means only Up Side Down Yoga Pose. Do this Yoga Pose evening daily for complete deep relaxation.
2. How to Practise Viparita Karani?
There are two ways there to practice this asana. But here I mentioned the quickly form by placing pillows under your hips and lower back region.